Today, July 4, 2013, I am thinking about The Four Freedoms, Plus Two, the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the Future.
The Original Four Freedoms, Plus Two:
- Freedom of Speech and Assembly
- Freedom to Pray – and to Not
- Freedom from Fear
- Freedom from Want
- Freedom to Love.
- Opportunities to work at a career we enjoy, and retire while we are young enough to enjoy life.
- An energy infrastructure that provides power without pollution and can withstand hurricanes – an Infrastructure for the 21st Century.
- Schools, colleges and universities where we can get a good education – so we can find a good job or start a business when we graduate, so we can pay off our loans and build a family, regardless of who we love.
Policy is too important for lobbyists and politicians – and Bob Clifton, one of the incumbents in NJ LD 12 Assembly, is BOTH: A LOBBYIST and A POLITICIAN!
Mr. Clifton is currently Director of Government and Community Affairs, Comcast Cable Corporation, has been since 2001. He is also the former Director of Industry Relations, New Jersey Pavement and Asphalt Association. Ron Dancer, the other incumbent for NJ LD 12, Assembly, is a guy who, like Clifton, has one good idea: both are opposed to Hydraulic Fracturing, aka “Fracking.”
Ray Dothard, running for Senate, and Nick Nellegar and I running for General Assembly in Legislative District 12, agree on and support:
- Increase Minimum Wage.
- Establishing a NJ Health Benefits Exchange
- Marriage Equality.
- Shift to Clean, Renewable Energy.
- ReBuild Infrastructure.
Based on their voting records, Clifton, Dancer, and Thompson ) agree on and oppose these ideas and policies. The differences are dramatic.Their voting records are on Vote Smart.org and are summarized below for Clifton & Dancer,
|Legislation||Name||Clifton & Dancer
||Furman & Nellegar|
|S968||Legislative Oversight of Privitization Contracts||NAY||Supports|
|A 1329||Limit Firearm Magazine Capacity||NAY||Supports|
|SCR 1||Increase Minimum Wage||NAY||Supports|
|AR 91||Investigate Finances of the Port Authority||NAY||Supports|
|A 2870||Establish OnLine Voter Registration||NAY||Supports|
|AR 86||Oppose Citizens United||NAY||Supports|
|S 1816||Authorize Delaware Port Authority to Inspect Hazardous Materials||NAY||Supports|
|A 2641||Storm water Management||NAY||Supports|
|S 2135||Establish NJ Health Benefit Exchange||NAY||Supports|
|S 1566||Authorize Conversion of Foreclosed Homes into Affordable Housing||NAY||Supports|
|A 3201||Increase Income Tax Rate on Incomes over $1.0 Million||NAY||Supports|
|A 1465||Reduce Penalties for Marijuana||NAY||Supports|
|S 1||Authorize Marriage Equality||NAY||Supports|
|ACR 37||Overturn DoEP Waiver Rules||NAY||Supports|
|S 1||Prohibit Treatment or Storage of Hydraulic Fracturing Waste in N J,||YEA||Supports|
|ACR 37||Require Participation in Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, RGGI||NAY||Supports|